Thursday, June 11, 2015

Wet on Wet

Experimenting with new techniques and/or products is part of the fun of art journaling. I am always on the lookout for new techniques to try out in my daily journal. In this piece I modified a technique I found in the May/June 2015 issue of Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine. The article is "Zen Owls: Painting with Ink and Water" by Tracy Verdugo.

The ink referred to in the article was acrylic artist ink. Having only a few colors of acrylic ink, I decided to try it with Dylusions Spray Inks. Instead of owls, I painted flowers.



I experiment directly on the journal page if the paper in the journal is appropriate. But sometimes I want to use a medium that works better on a special type of paper or do a technique that requires a lot of water. When that happens, I work on a separate piece of paper and glue the finished piece into my journal. I use my daily journal for taking notes on my experiments.

Supplies I used: 140 lb hot pressed watercolor paper, Dylusions Spray Inks, water, brushes, pens and paint markers for finishing touches, black Archival Ink around the outside edge

Water is applied in the shape of the object you want to paint. Then you add the ink to the wet area. I found I needed to do small areas at a time and let them dry before proceeding. Otherwise, I would have been smearing them as I worked. It did take a little practice. I was doing much better by the time I got to the leaves. I like the result and will be using this technique again.



The background on the journal page was done with acrylics. I recycled a large sheet of bubblewrap by using my brayer to apply white paint and pressing it onto the page.

Sometimes experiments work. Sometimes they don't. Either way, I have a lot of fun playing in the paints.

Just passing this on
...


In case you like Dina Wakley's paints and missed this announcement from Ranger, there is now a mixing chart for making other colors from her paints. You can read about it and find the link to the PDF here. The reds, oranges, and yellows in the background of my journal page were made with Dina's ruby and lemon paints. I have been mixing them all along. Now I have names for the colors.

4 comments:

  1. fabulous! I think the vivid inks really make the flowers pop! I have that magazine so now I must go back and read it thoroughly-only glanced thru it so far:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dylusions Inks really worked well. I've put it on my To Do list to try it with my few acrylic ink colors to compare them with the Dylusions. A little more practice with the technique will be good too. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I love how honest you are in your blog and your art. I too am an introvert and need time alone to recharge everyday. Recently in my life I feel drawn to art and am learning to draw. I am so interested in your artistic journey! I love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard sometimes to be an introvert, especially if you work in an environment that is full of extroverts. Having more quiet time, silence even, is one of the things I am enjoying most about retirement. Enjoy your art adventure. It's great fun to learn new things, for me anyway. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy reading your comments. My art is a continuous learning process. Constructive criticism is welcome.