Thursday, August 6, 2015

Accumulate

I'm not going to bore you with why it has been so long since I have written a post. I'll just say I was away from home for a few days. Since then, I've been busy and sometimes there are not enough hours in the day to get it all done.

I have been messing around with a piece of art. I call it Accumulate since that is how it was created, a bit at a time. Also, dealing with my accumulation of stuff is one of the things keeping me so busy lately. OK, I admit it. I am a pack rat.

It started out to be my week 6 project for the Summer of Color, two oranges and a blue, which I did not finish in time. Since I was over the deadline, I decided to add some other colors. I was really having a problem with the limitation of colors, too much like monochrome.




I originally started out with the 14" X 11" paper in landscape to which I added a bit of Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso on part of the paper to add some texture. In case you have never used it, it is like a thick cake icing that you spread with a palette knife. Some people like to pile it on, but I usually use a more moderate amount.

Once it dried, I painted on some messy geometric shapes, using blue, two oranges, and a brown I mixed from blue and orange. I added some blue-striped washi tape and a chevron pattern with a homemade stamp and blue paint. That's where I was when my time for SOC6 ran out.

It remained on my art table. I would look at it once in a while, wondering where to go from there. One rainy afternoon I got out my stencils and a sponge to make several additions in orange. Boring! I remembered a green I had made by mixing the blue and orange. It would be dark though. I decided to use the brighter Golden Green Gold instead. When I started outlining, I wanted something besides fluorescent orange. I used fluorescent yellow. I was feeling much better after adding some more bright colors.

Over the next couple of weeks I added the flower beside the washi tape, the dots to the chevrons, and the circle-sticks marks. While I was turning the paper to make my colored scribbles on my circle-sticks, I decided I liked the piece better in portrait orientation. It took nearly four weeks, a bit added here and a bit added there before this accumulation of bits was finished. Yes, I know it is a big mess, but that's what happens when you accumulate things. If I ever get this place cleaned out, I resolve to stop accumulating things.

Supplies used:
  • 14 in. X 11 in., 140lb. Strathmore 400 series Mixed Media Paper
  • Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso
  • Amsterdam Standard Acrylic Paint: Primary Cyan, Azo Orange, Prussian Blue
  • Liquitex Interference Orange
  • Golden High Flow Fluorescent Orange
  • Golden Matte Acrylic Green Gold
  • stencils from the Crafter's Workshop
  • Molotow One4All Acrylic Paint Markers
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Gel Pens
  • Blue Fude Ball 1.5 Pen
  • Black Stabilo CarbOthello Pastel Pencil

8 comments:

  1. the long process was worth it...it looks wonderful! love the bright colors and abundance of textures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was good to be able to use a lot of colors after being restricted for challenges. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I love it! Love the colours and shapes and patterns and it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. It is growing on me. I guess this would be classified as abstract art. It's supposed to be messy, right?

      Delete
  3. Way to keep moving toward the goal. Hang in there. I know how you feel. Too much stuff and so little time to use it. And when you get time you are usually too tired to do anything productive. Keep the faith. There will be days that it will get better. Just don't give up and you will find the time. Well--at least that is what I keep telling myself... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep at it. Even 10 or 15 minutes a day of art is better than nothing. When I see it still out on my table, it starts me thinking about what to do next. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I think it turned out beautiful, I love all the different marks, and color.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy reading your comments. My art is a continuous learning process. Constructive criticism is welcome.