Friday, September 4, 2015

29 Faces Challenge - Face #3

I finished my face last night, but was too tired to do the post. I went to get groceries this morning. This afternoon I had to unplug my computer due to storms that wouldn't go away. Just as the storms were finally over, I got a phone call. Then it was time for supper. After cleaning up the kitchen, I started working on my post...until the thunder started and I had to unplug again. Gr-r-r! It is still raining, but it is quiet. It's weird actually after hearing rumbles all afternoon.

I did do some sketching during the storms. I will scan and post a couple of the best tomorrow. No storms are in the forecast, but cooler weather is. Yeah!!


This is nothing like what I was imagining when I started. I am still working on showing emotions other than happy.  I'm not going to tell you what I intended. If you have the time, please tell me what you see.

I did not plan to make such a long face, but the drawing seemed to have a mind of its own. The finished face looks a bit masculine to me. The mop of hair didn't help at all.

Update: I played around with her eyebrows in Photoshop. Where they curve over the nose is much too bold and long. When I shortened the curve, she looks more feminine.

For the hair, I tried a product new to me, a Speedball Elegant Writer. It is one of Speedball's calligraphy markers. When you draw or write with it, the ink looks black. If you activate it with water, it changes color. First, you get a gray-blue, sort of like Paynes Gray. As it dries, pink and turquoise start appearing. I wish I had worked on larger paper so that I would have had more room for hair. I'll keep playing with the Elegant Writer to figure out how to get a better effect.

The face was done with a black Stabilo All pencil which was activated with water. Once you add the water, it is like working with watercolor except for one thing. When it has dried, it will not reactivate. (The Elegant Writer ink does reactivate after it is dry.) The Stabilo is a waxy pencil that will write over a lot of things, such as glass and plastic (acrylic paint). It is available in a few other colors besides black.

Since I am linking to this post at Art Journal Every Day, I ought to explain that even though this face was created on a single sheet of paper, it will be taped into my Faces Journal. All of my faces are in this ring-bound, 9 in X 12 in journal. If the face was originally done in a bound journal or framed, I photograph it and put the photo into the journal.

My Faces Journal is a working journal. On the back of the face, I list supplies used, the things I like about it, the things I don't like, what I need to work on, etc. I refer back to it often. I'll be starting a new one soon as the current one is about to outgrow the bookrings.

Wishing everyone a good weekend and a good holiday to those in the US.

7 comments:

  1. She reminds me of one teacher ages ago, she looks just as stern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! I remember a few teachers like that. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. This lady is a strong-willed and energetic woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to tell me how she appears to you.

      Delete
  3. I see angry frustration and from another point of view I see her on the verge of tears from having received some sudden, devastating news. I think many of the angular lines (even her cheek highlights look a little boxy) make her appear more masculine than one would expect with for a feminine face structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've come the closest to seeing what I was trying for...sadness. But looking at her, I can understand what Susu and Selma saw. I think we must combine the facial clues with the context of the surroundings.

      Delete
  4. I see her deep in thought and very annoyed. The eyebrow show the anger.... the eyes say she's deep in thought...well done. I let my faces speak for themselves.. I started one face as an old man with a white beard and it turned into a woman with an infinity scarf go figure.. It's on my instagram but not on my blog yet!! Good job!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy reading your comments. My art is a continuous learning process. Constructive criticism is welcome.