Sunday, September 13, 2015

29 Faces Challenge - Face #7 and 8

I'm five faces behind. I'm hoping to get in a few extra faces this week to catch up, but in reality, I may end up even farther behind.

Below are a couple of sketches I did today. The first one is a bit weird. I don't think human eyes can end up in quite that shape, but I had fun drawing them. I'm thinking about making the smudging around the eyes even darker.



I did not feel like drawing hair, thus the hat. I decided it made a change. I might have to do more hats. I tried darker smudging around the eyes. I'm thinking about trying charcoal to get the effect I want, but not in this sketchbook.


Both faces are in the sketchbook that I have decided is only good for pen and ink. Pencil works okay as long as I don't use a blending stump, but that is what I needed to get the effect I wanted to practice. The blending is not smooth like I get on Bristol paper.

The sketchbook was a gift which I will continue to use. There are some things I like about it. The size, 7" X 10", is perfect for a practice sketch. The wirebound cover is very sturdy and gives good support if you are working while sitting in a recliner. All the information about this journal was on the wrapper I threw away a couple of years ago. I don't even remember the brand. I found the same size with a sturdy, wirebound cover at Blick, which is temporarily out of stock. The description says it works with lots of different mediums. I am hoping to get the good features of this one with some better paper.

We have some nice weather in the forecast. It is supposed to be chilly tonight, good sleeping weather. I'm planning to sleep in tomorrow morning since it will still be cool enough tomorrow afternoon to work in the yard, seventies and low humidity. Ah-h-h, fall.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the way you think, not feeling like drawing hair, hence the hat solution! I like both of these drawings, and don't worry about being being in the faces, I reckon about 70 percent of us are ;) just keep going, looked at your others I missed, nice work, I'll check back (no pressure) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping a lookout for a good-looking hat. There will most likely be another day I don't want to draw hair. :D Thanks for dropping by to see my work.

      I am determined to finish this challenge. Previously, when I have joined a challenge, I have gotten bored and quit. Any pressure I am feeling is coming from within me. Besides, I really do need the practice.

      Delete
  2. I don't know either if human eyes can look that way, but it sure gives her an expressive face. The mouth fits the expression very well. Love the hat in the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably going to have another hat day before this challenge is over. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy reading your comments. My art is a continuous learning process. Constructive criticism is welcome.